Foundation Stage - Vocabulary
The Early Years Foundation Stage for Technology, aims to ensure that adults interaction could help pupils;
- Support children in exploring the control technology of toys, e.g. toy electronic keyboard.
- Talk about ICT apparatus, what it does, what they can do with it and how to use it safely.
- Support and extend the skills children develop as they become familiar with simple equipment, such as twisting or turning a knob.
- Draw young children’s attention to pieces of ICT apparatus they see or that they use with adult supervision.
- Encourage children to speculate on the reasons why things happen or how things work.
- Support children to coordinate actions to use technology, for example, call a telephone number.
Early Learning Goals
- Teach and encourage children to click on different icons to cause things to happen in a computer program.
The Early Years Foundation Stage for Technology, aims to ensure that pupils have an enabling environment that;
- Provide safe equipment to play with, such as torches, transistor radios or karaoke machines.
- Let children use machines like the photocopier to copy their own pictures.
- When out in the locality, ask children to help to press the button at the pelican crossing, or speak into an intercom to tell somebody you have come back.
- Provide a range of materials and objects to play with that work in different ways for different purposes, for example, egg whisk, torch, other household implements, pulleys, construction kits and tape recorder.
Early Learning Goals
- Provide a range of programmable toys, as well as equipment involving ICT, such as computers.
Early Years Foundation Stage; Technology;
- Seeks to acquire basic skills in turning on and operating some ICT equipment.
- Operates mechanical toys, e.g. turns the knob on a wind-up toy or pulls back on a friction car.
- Knows how to operate simple equipment, e.g. turns on CD player and uses remote control.
- Shows an interest in technological toys with knobs or pulleys, or real objects such as cameras or mobile phones.
- Shows skill in making toys work by pressing parts or lifting flaps to achieve effects such as sound, movements or new images.
- Knows that information can be retrieved from computers
- Completes a simple program on a computer.
- Uses ICT hardware to interact with age-appropriate computer software.
Early Learning Goal
Children recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools. They select and use technology for particular purposes.